The Link between Marijuana and Fertility
As the legalization of recreational cannabis continues to make headlines in the United States, the relationship between marijuana and fertility has become a relevant topic. What studies have found is that long-term marijuana use does have an impact fertility, and can affect one’s ability to conceive. Let’s take a closer look at this correlation and talk about why we need to take note.
Does Marijuana Affect Fertility?
So how does marijuana affect fertility? There are a few ways the substance affects the ability to conceive. These include:
- Lower Sperm Count – A study conducted in 2021 found that marijuana does, in fact, decrease the volume of semen and overall sperm count and alter the sperm cells’ shape. This is due to how CBD, one of the compounds in marijuana, has the ability to bind or latch to receptors on the sperm’s structure, thus altering the sperm’s shape and function. While these studies did indicate that marijuana can affect sperm counts in current and past marijuana users, more research is needed to investigate the potential long-lasting effects.
- Interrupted Normal Body Regulation – There’s a complex relationship between the endocannabinoid system and sex hormones, which regulate each other to facilitate reproductive success. Marijuana has been proven to interfere with this feedback system, thus negatively impacting fertility rates.
Marijuana and Sexual Health
Besides negatively impacting fertility, marijuana also takes a toll on overall sexual health. It does this by:
- Lowering Testosterone and Estrogen – One connection between marijuana and male fertility is that the substance does lower testosterone levels, and in females, it lowers estrogen levels. These lower hormone levels then decrease libido.
- Increasing Risk of Miscarriage – According to research conducted by the Scientific Congress of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, smoking marijuana more than once per week is associated with an increased risk of miscarriage. Still, there is far more research needed for us to understand how the method of marijuana intake and frequency of use affects rates of miscarriage.
Recommendations for Marijuana Users Trying to Conceive
As stated before, marijuana does deliver several health benefits to users, such as decreased pain, stress, and inflammation, and increased relaxation and appetite. However, if an individual is using marijuana and experiencing issues with fertility, there are a few things they can do.
- Abstain from Use – Since a link between marijuana and fertility does exist, many studies indicate that men should stop smoking the substance either temporarily while attempting to conceive or permanently if they experience continued difficulty. This is especially prevalent for long-term users, as their sperm counts and volume may already be more greatly impacted than short-term users.
- Consider Male Fertility Supplements – For men who are experiencing issues with marijuana and fertility rates, certain supplements exist that can increase fertility levels to create a more proactive, healthy, and balanced lifestyle. These supplements can increase sperm count, motility, and volume, as well as improve sperm’s ability to fertilize. They provide a reliable amount of vitamins and minerals that are all beneficial in the fertility process.
Try Our Fertility Supplement Blend
At YAD-Tech, we offer supplements designed to support your health on your fertility journey. With no prescription needed, these science-based and doctor-designed formulas seek to provide healthy, natural nutrients for everyday use. These supplements for men can also help balance hormones and promote overall health.
For more information regarding our blends and other products, contact YAD-Tech today to learn more.